Sunday, July 27, 2008

Laramie Enduro - Mission Accomplished

It's done - over - I did it.
I had some divine help - I was worn down, cramping, fatigued, ready to give up. I prayed asking what to do and I received answers and encouragement near the end when I really needed the most.
I fought some tough mental battles and I had to face the fact that I might be able to finish and along with that I had to concede that it would be okay if I did not get through to the end.
As I went from miles 52 to 62 I faced those challenges and when I finally arrived at te final aid station (approx. mile 62) to rehydrate and take a moment to rest, I decided to ask a course marshal about the last section of the course - if it was like the part I had just come through, I would have ended it there because I didn't have the mental or physical energy to get through another section like the previous one.
I got more information on what was still before me and decided that after my short recuperation that I still had enough to be able to get through what still lay ahead. In the last eight miles there was a one-half mile section with about an 800 foot elevation gain with some technically challenging sections. In approaching the last climb I decided I would ride what I could ride and walk what was too much for my tired state and so it went. I got past the last section I had to walk, climbed back on my steed and began to peddle again.
I approached the top of the ridge with a thunderstorm brewing just off to the north with lightning flashing and thunder rumbling and about that time my mp3 player started playing the song How Can I Keep From Singing by Chris Tomlin. I started singing along and worshiping and just had a full heart so overwhelmed that I was about crying. I was encouraged and uplifted by God's wonderful Spirit. Then the next song was another Chris Tomlin tune How Great Is Our God and it was all downhill from there. I was invigorated and was off for the last couple miles which went by really fast. Before I knew it I was coming down the last hill with a turn to the finish.
I was done. The event I've been working toward all year was over... and I had finished.
I finished in somewhere in the bottom 50 people of the nearly 350 that started, but I finished and I was thankful for that accomplishment. My time to ride nearly 70 miles was about 9 hours and 18 minutes.
I'm waiting for the website to be updated with the official times, so I know what my official time was, but that isn't really too important. What is important to me are the things that God allowed me to experience and learn along the journey.
Mission accomplished.

No comments: