Saturday, July 12, 2008

Getting Closer...

The Laramie Enduro is now only two weeks away.
I signed up in February, I think, to do this race. I've been a bit worried because I haven't really done much in the way of getting longer rides and longer riding times in... until today.

I've gotten in two good rides this week. Thursday at lunch I got my first ride in over a week because my son and his girlfriend were visiting. I put my riding on hold during the week they were here so I could spend time with them.

Thursday's ride was a brisk 20 miles on the Front Range trail, which is double track width and all covered with road base so it is hard packed and rides fast.

Today I went for a long and serious training ride - 63 miles in 6 hours and 7 minutes total time. I learned a couple things about what I need to have with me for a ride of that length - Ibuprofen for one - but all in all it went well. I was a little tired toward the end, but still had plenty left in me to be able to crank out a few more miles if I had needed to. The ibuprofen will be for my left hip flexor and my lower back right above my left hip. After about 30 miles of riding my hip starts to ache, so I rode most of the ride with an aching hip.
I also learned a little about what I will be needing for fuel, so I can build on that.

Anyhow, after today's ride - though tiring - I'm feeling much better about at least being able to ride the Laramie Enduro and be able to finish it in decent time... I'm hoping to come in around 7 hours, so we'll see.

So the countdown begins.

No comments: